Tatamagouche Centre works towards transformation of self and society; towards a just, peaceful, collaborative world.
- Attending to Spirit
- Embracing Social Justice
- Building Inclusion
- Encouraging Transformation
- Honouring Interdependence
- Fostering Sustainability
We weave contemplation, silence and reflection in what we do.
We are part of a movement for greater justice, peace, and ecological responsibility. We work to overcome oppression, inequity, and injustice.
We recognize that diversity is a sacred form of resilience in human communities as in the ecosystems around us. We embrace diverse expressions of humanity and seek to overcome systemic barriers to human rights, dignity, and social participation.
We use education rooted in experience as a vehicle to work towards transformation of self and society, towards a just, peaceful, collaborative world.
We acknowledge the interconnectedness of all beings and understand that we are mutually dependent on one another. In our work, we link personal development, social justice, spiritual integrity, and ecological sustainability.
We embrace a leadership role in fostering ecological responsibility by reducing our environmental footprint and supporting people to meet their needs within flourishing natural and social communities. We are accountable in terms of a triple bottom line of environmental, economic and social outcomes of our work.
Sustainability Guiding Principles
Our values guide our operations and activities.
- Governance – We are governed as a Centre and a community by structures and processes that reflect our shared values.
- Transformation – We work towards transformation of self and society; towards a just, peaceful, collaborative world.
- Wholeness – We aspire and work to blend the social, personal and spiritual.
- Participatory Decision Making – We are committed to participatory decision making. Those affected by decisions must have opportunity to provide input, and we acknowledge that we must have shared knowledge and information so that all can participate.
- Openness – We are committed to transparency regarding how and what decisions are made, both in terms of process and content.
- Collaboration – We value working in a collaborative manner, striving for an inclusive process, and building on collective wisdom. We recognize that at different times, people with different things to learn or offer will take leadership roles. When conflicts arise, we work towards transformation.
- Consensus – We value consensus. We have a commitment to deep discussion and striving towards consensus whenever possible.
- Diversity – We recognize that diversity is a sacred form of resilience in human communities as in the ecosystems around us. We embrace diverse expressions of humanity and seek to overcome systemic barriers to human rights, dignity, and social participation.
- Equality and Equity – We strive to recognize power and privilege, and name it when it impacts processes and relationships.We work to overcome oppression, inequity and injustice.
- Accountability – We are accountable to one another. We are accountable to everyone who is on this road towards transformation. Being accountable, we have clear structures, and operate in an efficient, effective manner.
- Contemplative – We encourage reflection, meditation, and silence as part of the necessary work to bring transformation.
- Right Relationships – We have a deep commitment to community and therefore encourage dialogue and building relationships. We recognize that we are all human and we are all learning and will make mistakes. We strive to be accepting of limitations and mistakes, and to practice forgiveness.
- Caring – We care about each other and our world. Through this caring, we challenge one another to grow and transform in positive ways.